Tweeting Out Loud

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, April 29, 2008

    The Path to Passions

    Please excuse me for my hiatus in updating Deranter. School has been getting to me, and I’ve been busy running back between Baltimore and D.C., doing projects, writings essays… Finally, let me take a break from all my responsibilities and derant for a bit…

    April 20th was a special day for me. It was the first wine event I’ve ever went to since I turned 21 not more than six days earlier. The gathering was at the Sonoma Wine Bar in D.C. with a bunch of Vayniacs from WLTV. Brad accompanied me to the BYOB; I brought a 2001 Chateau Larrivet- Haut Brion, which was the first legal wine purchase of mine on my birthday. Along with Brad’s 2005 Educated Guess, a Napa Cabernet I believe, there were 11 other bottles! The wine list went:

    2001 Chateau Larrivet-Haut-Brion

    2004 Justin Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve

    2006 Saint Cosme Cotes du Rhone

    2007 Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc
    2005 Monchhof Riesling
    2004 Olek Mery Chinon
    2004 Alois Lageder Lagrein
    2004 Zantho St. Laurent
    2006 El Nino Loco Rhone Red
    2003 Adelaida Rhone Style Red
    2005 Querciabella Chianti Classico
    2004 Elizabeth Spencer Cabernet Sauvignon
    2005 Educated Guess Cabernet Sauvignon

    Again, without making this too much of a tasting note, I’d like to point out some wines I enjoyed throughout the night. One of the tasters, Patrick, commented that the Bordeaux I brought was the wine of the night. I loved it as well, as it had a bit of age to it that gave it a nice old-world but still fruit-forward, solid structure. The Elizabeth Spencer Cabernet Sauvignon was amazing as well. The fruit was the star in that wine, and it was a very classic example of winemakers letting the fruit serve its purpose and not manipulating it. The Alois Lageder Legrein was the most interesting of the night; it had a very barnyard nose but a very fruit-forward taste.
    The Kim Crawford SB tasted like Welchs’ Grape Juice to me… Very sweet and not very enjoyable. The Justin Cabernet also seemed a bit of a fruit-nuke. One taster pointed out that the Saint Cosme Cote du Rhone had a “orange peanut circus candy” to the nose- that was the call of the night!
    The experience was fun and amazing. Two full boards of cheese and charcuterie were ordered to accompany the wine. I got a good look at very different styles that night, something that is invaluable to the palate. I got to chat with very wine-knowledgeable people and experience something I know I want to keep experiencing. At 21 years of age, my passionate journey into the wine world has just begun! Cheers!


    -Tatum

    Digg this

    No comments: