Tweeting Out Loud

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, April 1, 2008

    TBAG Wine Event

    A few weeks ago, while doing my daily stalking on Facebook, I saw my friend’s photo album called "Wine and Cheese Tasting." It thrilled me, so I clicked on the link to look at photographs. I didn't prepare myself to be so under whelmed; picture after picture of teenagers pouring bag wine into red, plastic cups; Boys and girls partying and dancing, all dressed up in their "tasting attire" playing slap-the-bag. Now, I know I'm sounding like a wine snob, but I truly am not. If kids want to get together and drink bag wine and play slap-the-bag that is fine, but I was a little discouraged to think they would call that a wine tasting... Perhaps a better title for the photo album would have been "Wine and Cheese Dance Party Bash."

    Anyway, I bring this up only because I finally posted pictures of a wine tasting a few friends and I did a not too long ago on Facebook. It was a bit more serious, and involving wine, and less about inebriation. We had a great time, meeting a few new people, discussing the wine at hand, and “spreading the thunder” of WLTV to our loved ones. Everyone who didn’t supply the wine brought a little appetizer, so we had some cheeses, fruits, crackers and even a bread-bowl spinach dip! Everyone loved the WLTV, but because of a dinner reservation, we probably should have cut it off a bit sooner. Nonetheless, we made it to the dinner fine, and it was very yummy!


    The wines tasted were:
    2006 Chateau de Callac Graves Blanc2005 Chateau de Lavagnac Rouge2005 Chateau Moulin de Lavaud2005 Chateau de Callac Prestige Rouge2006 Le-Tendance Rose2006 Chateau Dereszla Tokaji Dry2003 Mas de la Barben la Danseuse2004 Marguante Garnacha Seleccion

    Without becoming too much of a giant tasting note, I’ll discuss a few notable wines. The Le-Tendance Rosé was very peculiar. It looked sweet and watery, but when it touched your tongue it was very heavy and dry. It was sort of like eating green ketchup, where you mind sees one thing, and your tongue tastes something unexpected! Chateau de Lavagnac Rouge astounded everyone, with its $9 price tag, and its full-bodied, rich, complexity. It was real wine for an amazing price! The wine of the night, and my personal favorite, was the Tokaji Dry. Noble rot has done its job, as you sensed noticeable fungi-like nose, with pineapples, honey, and lime. It splashed down my palate with a myriad of fruit and floral components as well.

    The experience was enjoyed by all, and I think we had a general consensus that something like this should be done again. We met nice people, we got to know each other and share a great, lasting memory. It was all due to the spirit of wine, and the magic it brings to us every time we pop open a bottle. So I urge you to gather up your friends and family and do the same; great wine was meant to be shared with great people. Cheers!

    -Tatum

    Digg this

    No comments: